BARR LANE and BARR PLACE
Barr Lane existed from about the mid 1800s to the early 1900s. By 1909, the name had changed to Barr Place which no longer officially exists. In the early 1970s, Barr Place was subsumed into Montgomerie Street as part of a major housing development. Its location can be seen in Montgomerie Street 4.
Barr Lane and Barr Place were named after John Barr, the first Provost of Ardrossan. He was elected on 13 November 1846 and served till 1884.