Bute Place 6B 1974
Click here to see a photograph of Bute Place taken from the same spot on 30 October 2009.
Click here to see 'Now and Then' photographs of Bute Place.
The building with the red door in the background was built as the Evangelical Union Congregational Church and opened on 15 July 1860. This served the congregation for over forty years before it transferred to its present premises on 16 December 1903. In 1912, the Church of the Nazarene took over premises and used them till its new location in Glasgow Street opened on 10 October 1959. In the 1970s, the building housed Bute Service Centre before the business moved to premises in North Crescent Road then Harbour Road. The Rovers Club in the centre was the recreation club of Ardrossan Winton Rovers Football Club from the 1972 to 1982. Click here to see a report from the Evening Times on the closure of the Rovers Club. Prior to that, the building was the home of the Shell Club, the recreation club of the Shell Oil Refinery. It was previously the Assembly Hall and served as a place of worship from 1926 to 1938 prior to the opening of the Church of Saint Peter in Chains. If you know more accurate dates, please contact WebsiteAuthor@ArdrossanPhotographs.net.