Castle Hill Church and Graveyard 15 16 April 2017
In late January 1911, an Ardrossan Town Council worker Robert Cook unearthed the lid of a stone cofin or sarcophagus in the ruins of the church on the Castle Hill. On Easter Sunday 2017, Ardrossan Castle Heritage Society displayed a replica lid at the exact spot where the original was found.
The church on Castle Hill was originally a Catholic Church, built no later than 1226. It measured 64 feet by 26 feet. It had two altars - one dedicated to Saint Peter and the other to the Blessed Virgin Mary. It became a Church of Scotland after the Reformation of 1560 and was destroyed in a storm in 1695..
Castle Hill is known locally as Cannon Hill. This is because four or five cannons, pointing towards the sea, stood on the hill for about three hundred years until they were removed to reuse their metal in the 1939-45 war.