Castle Hill Church and Graveyard 9 2 May 2012
The church on Castle Hill was built no later than 1226. It was called the Church of Saint Peter in Chains and the Blessed Virgin Mary. It measured only 64 feet by 26 feet but had two altars. It was destroyed in a storm in 1695.
Castle Hill is known locally as Cannon Hill. This is because four or five cannons, pointing towards the sea, stood on the hill for about three hundred years until they were removed to reuse their metal in the 1939-45 war.