Evangelical Union Congregational Church, Glasgow Street 3 6 May 2006
The Evangelical Union Congregational Church was founded on 9 December 1837. Its first premises was a hut in Princes Street. The first Minister was appointed in 1838. The hut became too small so the Church moved to a larger hall in Glasgow Street. A purpose-built Church was constructed in Bute Place and opened on 15 July 1860. This served the congregation for over forty years. Construction of the Glasgow Street Church started on 27 October 1902, the memorial stone was laid on 21 February 1903 and it was dedicated on 16 December 1903. The Church was built in the playground of the first infant school in Ardrossan, known as the Penny School, which is now the Church Hall.
Click here to read a report from the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald of 17 October 1902 on the proposed Church.
Click here to read a report from the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald of 31 October 1902 on the cutting of the first sod at the Church.
Click here to read a report from the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald of 27 February 1903 on the laying of the Church's memorial stone.
On 12 April 2010, scaffolding was erected so that the stonework and windows could be repaired and cleaned. The Church was temporarily closed and reopened on 12 December 2010.