Memorial, South Beach 117
29 March 2015
On the afternoon of Saturday
27 March 1943, the Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Dasher was sailing in the
Clyde Estuary between Ardrossan and Arran. At 4.40 pm, there was an enormous
explosion. Within a short time, the ship sank. Of the 528 men on board, 379
were killed by the blast or drowned. The memorial stone and plaque, in the Sunken
Gardens on South Beach, were unveiled on 27 March 1993, exactly fifty years
after the tragedy. Every year since 2000, there has been a commemoration service
on the Sunday of or before 27 March. The picture above was taken during
the 2015 service. The Isle Of Cumbrae Royal British Legion Scotland Pipe Band
accompanied by members of the British Legion, Ardrossan Sea Cadets and Stevenston
Boys' Brigade marched to and played at the beginning of the service. The service
was conducted by Canon Matt McManus, Parish Priest of the Church
of Saint Peter in Chains.
The man holding
the microphone is David Hodkinson, secretary of the HMS Dasher 1943 Association.
Floral tributes were laid by the
families of sailors who were aboard the Dasher, the
British Legion, Ardrossan Sea
Member of the Scottish Parliament Kenneth Gibson, Deputy Provost Robert Barr,
and others. Refreshments were later served to participants in Saint
Peter's Parish Centre.