Hotel Kilmeny 1970s
The Hotel Kilmeny no longer exists. It was a house in South Crescent, later South Crescent Road, and was built in or before 1889. In the late 1890s and early 1900s, it was occupied by Mr John Galloway and his family. The Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald of 30 September 1904 reported that 'Mr John Galloway, Homehill, Bridge of Allan, and formerly of Kilmeny, Ardrossan, died on Sunday (25 September 1904 aged 75 years). Before his retiral from the business, he was head of the well-known Glasgow firm of shipowners, Patrick Henderson and Company. He took a deep interest in religious and photographic works and provided a home at Saltcoats for destitute Glasgow children. He was also the president of Glasgow Chamber of Commerce'. His Kilmeny home later became a hotel which was taken over by Mr and Mrs James Cameron in 1949. A new lounge bar was opened officially by William Currie, provost of Ardrossan on 24 December 1962. The Hotel Kilmeny was demolished in the 1980s or 1990s and Kilmeny Court was built on the site. If you know more details, please contact WebsiteAuthor@ArdrossanPhotographs.net.