Shell Bridge, North Crescent Road 25 21 March 2008
The Shell Bridge was built in 1888 to span the Caledonian Railway Line that used to run between Glasgow and Montgomerie Pier Station, Ardrossan. At the same time, a forty-two feet Cowans Sheldon railway turntable was installed nearby. The turntable was extended by nine feet in 1900. Passengers last travelled on the Caledonia Line in August 1967. The line was formally closed on 6 May 1968 and the track was removed in the early 1970s. The ground on which the track ran can be seen clearly in the photograph. Although Shell Bridge is not its original name, it was so called because it was near the site of the former Shell Oil Refinery which existed from 1927 to 1988. From the late 1980s to the early 2000s, the site was occupied by Saztec, a computer data processing firm. If you know more accurate dates, please contact WebsiteAuthor@ArdrossanPhotographs.net.
Work to demolish the Shell Bridge and realign the road started on 25 February 2008. The road opened to traffic on 12 May 2008.