Unionist Club, Princes Street 1 10 August 2002
The Unionist Club was established in 1901 and opened on 12 September 1902 when the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald printed the text below.
The above illustration gives a more or less adequate conception of the new Unionist Buildings which have been erected on the west side of Princes Street, Ardrossan, between the Glasgow and South-Western Railway station and the Baths and which are to be opened today (12 September 1902) by the honourable Thomas Cochrane, member of parliament. There can be little doubt that the new club rooms constitute a marked improvement in this part of the town. The architecture of the buildings is pleasing. The walls are of brick, roughcast and finished with redstone dressings while the roof, to have an artistic ensemble presumably, is of green slates. The rooms which consist of a billiard room for three tables, a reading room with bay window to Princes Street, a committee room, a lavatory and three apartments for the janitor - are conveniently arranged, all finished neatly and all heated by a system of hot water pipes. Mr Hugh Thomson, Saltcoats, was the architect for the building, his design having been selected in a competition. The following were the contractors - John Inglis, builder; Robert Frew, joiner; John Lambert, plumber and heating engineer; James Allison, slater; Murray and McCallum, plasterers and John Gilfillan, painter.