War Memorial, South Beach 20 13 November 2011
The photograph was taken on Remembrance Sunday 2011.
On 5 May 1923, several thousand people gathered on South Beach, Ardrossan for the dedication of the memorial to soldiers who died in the first world war (1914-1918). The local War Memorial Committee had commissioned the architect, Dr Macgregor Chalmers to design the memorial but he died before the task was complete. His work was taken over by Mr J Jeffrey Waddell who was assisted by Mr T P W Young. The sculptor was Mr James A Young of Glasgow and the building work was done by ex-Bailie Inglis of Ardrossan. The Shipyard Cadets Pipe Band led a procession from Hill Street to the memorial. Groups represented included the local Company of the Territorials, Fourth and Fifth Battalion of the Royal Scots Fusiliers, Saint Andrews Wolf Cub Pack, Boy Scouts, Brownies, Brethren of Lodge Saint Johns number 320, Ardrossan Town Council, Ardrossan Parish Council, School Management Committee, Saltcoats Town Council and the Memorial Committee. A second procession of officiating ministers and the Combined Churches Choir were led to the memorial by Ardrossan Pipe Band. Provost George McKellar addressed the crowd then invited the Marquess of Ailsa to unveil the memorial. The Reverend R P Fairlie read out the names of the one hundred and fifty Ardrossan men who had died in the war. The memorial was then handed over formally to the custody of the Town Council.