Young Street 4 5 August 2014
The ground on which the houses at the right are built was the venue for the first formal football match played in Ardrossan in 13 September 1874. It was then a field called Clutha Park. The Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald of 12 September 1874 carried the following story. 'We are glad to understand that a football club for the exercise of this emphatically exhilarating game has been formed in Ardrossan. No better fun and diversion could we suggest to our youths. From the list sent us, we see that Mr H Barclay has been appointed captain and Mr J McAusland, vice-captain; Messrs R McCubbin and J Hepburn, secretary and treasure respectively; Messrs Stevenson, Reid and Hughes, members of committee. The field selected for the games is opposite Paisley Street and as the first game is to be played tomorrow commencing at three o'clock, we hope to see a good muster of new entrants.'. There was no match report in the following week's Herald so the opponents and result are not known. Ardrossan Football Club was one of several founded then disbanded in Ardrossan before Winton Rovers was formed in 1900. Further details can be seen on www.ArdrossanFootballClubs.net.
Street is named after William Young who was Provost of Ardrossan from 1893 to
Young Street is also featured in Red Herring and Jack's Corner.