Castle Hill 108 13 September 2013
On 13 and 14 September 2013, there was an archaeological test-pit dig on the Castle Hill. The enterprise involved a partnership of Ardrossan Castle Heritage Society, North Ayrshire Council and Rathmell Archaeology. A volunteer dig team worked under the guidance of Tom Rees of Rathmell Archaeology in the hope of uncovering some of the history of the Cannon Hill.
Castle Hill is known locally as Cannon Hill. This is because four or five cannons, pointing towards the sea, stood on the hill for about three hundred years until they were removed to reuse their metal in the 1939-45 war.
Castle Hill is also featured in Castle Ruins, Castle Hill Church and Graveyard and MacFadzean's Monument.